Cannabis plants have many cannabinoids in them, and each one of them has different effects on people. THC or tetrahydrocannabinol is a famous cannabinoid present in plants like hemp and marijuana. Now THC has a psychoactive effect on our minds, which makes us high. But there are different types of THC available, and their properties are not the same. They even have some health benefits. Delta eight and delta-nine are two of these plant chemicals. You may wonder what the difference between these two is, which one is more potent and has more health benefits. We will answer all the questions in this article. Keep reading to find out.
The difference between delta-8 and Delta-9
- Chemical Structure:
D-8 and D-9 both are almost the same on the molecular level. They have only a difference in their atomic bonds or molecular structure. Both of these chemicals are isomers of THC. The Basic structural difference between them is, in Delta-8, the eighth carbon chain has the double bond whereas, in delta-9, it is in the ninth carbon chain. Though the chemical difference is not huge, it has a powerful impact on their properties. D-8 is much more stable than d-9; d-9 tends to oxidize and change into cannabinol or CBN. That is why d-8 has a longer shelf life than d-9.
The potency of d-8 is almost half the potency of d-9. So, the psychoactive effects of d-8 are not lesser than d-9. It gives you a smooth high. People take d-8 for its sedating and calming effect, and it is a lot safer than d-9. The THC d-9 is very strong and only acceptable for medical use.
- Dosage and consumption methods:
The dosage of d-8 varies from 10-50 mg, and the dosage of d-9 varies from 5-25 mg. As the potency of d-8 is almost half of d-9, you need a double amount of d-8 to get the desired effect. But d-8 has a calming and relaxing effect. You can take both the chemicals the same way. The common forms of taking them are capsules, tinctures, tablets, gummies, vape pens, vape juices, and edibles. You can also apply them topically. But delta-8 is much more available than delta-9 in the market.
- Side Effects:
Generally, the side effects of d-8 results are sedation and fatigue. A higher dose of d-8 may cause paranoia, but it is unusual. An overdose of D-9 can cause anxiety and paranoia. It has stimulating effects, which can also cause various sleeping disorders. But both cannabinoids have many health benefits if used in a controlled way. They do not possess the threat of addiction. It is unlikely to get addicted to one of these cannabinoids.
- Legal Issues:
As per the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp-derived products are legal in the United States of America if they have less than 0.3% D-9 THC. So, D-8 products are federally legal in the US, though some states still ban their use. D-9 is not legal in the US except in those states where marijuana is legal. A tiny amount of D-8 is present in hemp plants. Though D-9 can be chemically synthesized and changed to D-8 by a chemist, the law forbids that. Making any cannabinoid by chemically synthesizing other cannabinoids is illegal. So, some manufacturers derive d-8 from d-9. Some manufacturers collect the 0.1% d-8 present in the hemp, which makes the product very costly.
Delta-8 THC has many therapeutic benefits. Such as,
- It can treat nausea and vomiting. It worked wonders for the people who are going through chemotherapy or suffering from Crohn’s disease.
- A controlled D-8 use can alleviate anxiety. D-8 has a relaxing and calming effect. It binds with the CB1 receptor of the brain and helps reduce stress and anxiety.
- D-8 can stimulate your appetite. So, it is beneficial for people who are suffering from eating disorders or cancer.
- D-8 has a superpower to fight tumors. Scientists believe it can prevent cancer. Though, we need more studies and research to know if it is safe to use as a treatment.
- Not only does d-8 reduce stress and anxiety, but it also produces Acetylcholine, which controls the brain’s cognitive functions. It is helpful in patients who are suffering memory loss.
- D-8 can relieve pain and anxiety. It can even treat chronic pain like muscle pain and the pain after chemotherapy.
Though Delta-9 THC is very potent and has powerful psychoactive effects, it has some therapeutic benefits too. But you have to use it in a lower dosage as the higher dosage can cause various side effects.
- Dronabinol is a D-9 based synthetic medicine, and doctors use it on AIDS and cancer patients to prevent nausea. It can prevent nausea and vomiting. It is also a good appetite stimulator. So, if the patients are suffering from weight loss due to vomiting, Dronabinol can help with it.
- D-9 has analgesic properties. D-9 binds with the CB1 receptors of the brain and influences the nerve, which makes us feel the sensation of the pain. It also reduces inflammation.
- D-9 makes you high and causes euphoria. This euphoric feeling induces positive thoughts, which put you in a better mood. But higher dosage can cause paranoia or aggression.
- D-9 has a stimulating effect on people. It promotes sedation and relaxation. Doctors think it can be a potential sleep aid in the future.
- D-9 THC is full of antioxidants. It reduces aging, cell death, and other diseases and helps with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Delta-8 and Delta-9 have a lot of similarities, but delta eight is the safer choice. You can get a euphoric feeling without harmful side effects. D-9 can cause chronic issues if you use a high dosage. More importantly, delta-8 is legal in most states. Most cannabinoids have many therapeutic benefits. We need a lot more research and studies to know about the nature of these cannabinoids. It is best to consult a doctor before trying out any cannabinoid products.