First Group of Growers Represent Cross-Section of Marijuana Industry
From Oregon Liquor Control Commission
April 29, 2016 (Portland, Oregon) – The Oregon Liquor Control Commission has approved eight Recreational Marijuana producer licenses, the first licenses issued under Oregon’s legalized recreational marijuana system.
“These licensees reflect the pioneering spirit Oregon is known for,” said Rob Patridge, OLCC Chair. “They come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and possess the entrepreneurial spirit of this industry.”
The OLCC Commission will meet weekly through early June, 2016 to approve license applications, at which time the Commission plans to delegate authority to the OLCC Executive Director to approve licenses. During the next month the OLCC licensing effort will continue to focus on producers, especially outdoor growers.
The licensees approved today include Tier 1 and Tier 2 outdoor and mixed cultivation growers. Tier 1 outdoor growers are allowed to have a plant canopy between 5,000 to 10,000 square feet, and Tier 2 outdoor growers are allowed to have a plant canopy between 20,000 to 40,000 square feet. Mixed cultivation growers are allowed to have a combined indoor and outdoor canopy using a ratio so the total canopy does not exceed the tier designation.
The licensees can start operating legally after paying their annual license fee. The annual fee for Tier 1 growers is $3,750, and the annual fee for Tier 2 growers is $5,750. The annual license fee for labs, processors, wholesalers and retailers is $4,750. “All applicants go through rigorous scrutiny before they’re even considered for a license,” said Patridge. “They undergo criminal background checks, must receive land use approval from local governments, and be trained to use the Cannabis Tracking System which is the key public safety component for the regulated recreational marijuana system.”
The licensees include:
• Harold Frazier, Dale Fox, Maiden Azalea LLC (New Breed Seed) – Outdoor, Tier 1, Lane County
• Far Out Farms, LLC (Far Out Farms) – Mixed, Tier 1, Tillamook County
• Preston Greene (Yerba Buena) – Mixed, Tier 2, Washington County
• Smokey Mountain Farm, LLC (Smokey Mountain Farm) – Outdoor, Tier 1, Washington County
• Jennifer Speer-Harvey, Antonio Harvey, Daniel Speer (Terra Mater) – Mixed, Tier 2, Clackamas County
• PWCC, LLC (Pacific Wonderland Craft Cannabis) – Mixed, Tier 2, Clackamas County
• SOCC, LLC (Southern Oregon Cannabis Company) – Outdoor, Tier 2, Jackson County
• Charles J. Brooks (Loved Buds) – Outdoor, Tier 1, Josephine County
The OLCC has received 910 applications and expects to receive between 1200 and 2000 applications during the 2016 calendar year. The agency expects to issue about 850 licenses in 2016. “Today is just another step on the path to implementation,” said Steve Marks, Executive Director of the OLCC. “We’re going to continue to remain focused on creating a recreationalmarijuana system that ensures public safety, protects our children, and fosters a successful legal market for the recreational use of marijuana.
For more information, visit the OLCC website at http://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Pages/default.aspx